Monday, June 29, 2020

Endurance Retold

I gave you a song about those two trees over there.
Surviving just beyond their precarious adolescence,
Soaring to see beyond our crumbling buildings. 
And I told you a limb had splintered on one tree
While the other grew strong and proud.
I told you that I stood there and watched it happen. 
Though I did not tell you the rest. 

Restrained by the form, I was short of time
To tell you about the moments I spent watching.
Moments, and perhaps even hours -
Time spent on important matters of soul. 
Hands on my hips and I surveyed nature. 
(Nature is often my poetic subject, and by that I am most surprised). 
Looking to juice meaning from the mundane. 

I stepped out of my shelter and breathed the succulent air. 
Those two oaks opening the leaves of their pages 
And unraveling timeless theology. 
I read the icons to the ceiling of their vaunted vault.
The vengeful sky roiled with porphyric percolations. 
Their dark bloated billows eviscerated themselves
And pummeled the earth with sheets of damaging and deifying water. 

I stood motionless, planted as the trees,
A reader of their lessons and revelations. 
Washed by the deluge and ignorant of the thunder crash,
I planted myself in obedience to the bucolic cathedrals’ example. 
The width and breadth of the storm hurtled west to east
Though I stayed in my place to see what would be. 
Remaining steadfast until the shower ceased, I spied a new world out there. 

The world had the two oaks as their regnant lords. 
Under their protective span remains (even now) a bistro table. 
One chair remains as it was before the winds. 
The other toppled on its back with no agency of its own. 
And my time of contemplation was completed. 
Returning to the menial tasks of occupation
The second chair remains defeated for another contemplative surviving another storm.